It's one thing to sell products online and talk share YouTube videos of healthy hair routines, DIY homemade products, and how-to style videos. And it's another thing to sell in a physical market with fresh homemade products sitting in an ice-cooler, and customers asking questions you would never think of because the physical and digital world are very different!
This weekend, Healthy Hair Asia participated in the Weekend Market at the Commons in Thong Lo, a two day market celebrating women entrepreneurs and businesses. Quite an honour, since we started a few months ago and pivoted from curly hair to healthy hair in general. The healthy living trend in Thailand is gaining traction with many customers interested in eating more heartier, exercising, using eco-friendly cleaning products, using natural and organic skin products, and living a healthier life in general. However, healthy hair and freshly homemade products is a bit new. Something many customers appreciated, but still a new concept in this hot and busy country.
Here are a few things I learned:
So here are a few things that we learned:
1. Everyone has some kind of hair issue, and a bit shy to talk about it:
a. Oily scalp
b. Dry hair
c. Hair loss
I try to assure customers that it's okay and I'm happy to help and give advice about overcoming common hair issues. Given the weather, water, pollution, and lack of options for shampoos and conditioners, it came to no surprised that many suffered from unhealthy hair. That is why I am happy to help!
2. Many customers were fascinated with fresh and homemade products!
When people saw my set up of mixing bowls, blender, wooden spoons, oils, and aloe vera leaf and avocado, they were absolutely fascinated. What do fruits, oils, and hair have in common? Well many things! And to help my customers I made a nice list of hair benefits that aloe vera, avocado, banana, and oils have:
Promotes hair growth & scalp health
Prevents hair loss
Smoothness & Shine
Vitamins A, D E, B6,
Repairs damaged hair,
Softness & shine
Vitamins A, E
Fights hair loss prevention
Aloe Vera Leaves
Shine & smoothness
Fights frizz, pH balance
Protection against environment
Helps itchy scalp
Protein (prevents breakage, dryness, frizz)
Vitamins A (fights dandruff)
Vitamin E (protects from environment)
Vitamin D (smooth and shine)
Improve hair growth & thinning
Natural moisturiser and conditioner
Improves blood circulation
Natural conditioner & moisturiser
Promote hair growth
Scalp health & moisturiser
Fights dandruff, bacteria, and fungi
Prevents hair shedding
Fights alopecia & hair loss
Promotes hair growth
Water (the best)
No. 1 hair moisturiser
No. 1 scalp health
Shine (cold water)
Fights dandruff and thinning hair
3. Starting a business takes a lot of work and you cannot do it alone!
Right now, it's just me making the products, managing the social media and website, and selling and delivering products. But I am fortunate to have a very supportive partner that was there with me on Saturday and Sunday helping me with setting up, running errands (buying ice, a cooler, lunch), and so much more that I could not do by myself. Living as a foreigner, not speaking the language, and with a small network, I am very happy to have someone in my life that is supportive and can help me build my business!
As for the next few weeks, I plan to continue to seek other ways to sell products and help women achieve healthy and beautiful hair! Check out the Facebook page to keep updated!
So when we first launched this website, our focus was to help curly hair women living in Bangkok, yes a very niche and small market, but we insisted that curlies everywhere needed help to achieve beautiful hair! But, the reason we focused on curlies, was not only because they didn't have access to quality products, but because the lack of knowledge of maintaining healthy curls. After talking with many different women, we realised that all women, whether curly, wavy, or straight hair needed help with maintaining the health of their hair. So we reevaluated our target audience and hair partners, and are happy to happy all hair types to achieve healthy and beautiful hair!
And the first order of business in healthy hair care are:
1. Knowledge: with the internet, there is so much information its easy to get lost, so part of our business is to educate our customers by directing them to the right and genuine sources of hair care professionals, websites, blogs, YouTube Channels, and hosting monthly workshops.
2. Becoming part of a community (online or off-line): There is a huge YouTube community for healthy hair care, beauty, and living! We encourage you to become part of that community! And attend our monthly workshops. We are having one in December: DIY Avocado Deep Conditioner
3. Building a routine: we all have a routine for getting started with our day, how we study, doing our jobs, etc. Having healthy hair, you need a routine! How to wash, how to maintain moisture, how to style, how to straighten, how to protect your ends, prevention, and so much more. We are here to help you build a routine! Check our Facebook, as we always post videos from YouTubers that has hair routine (curly, wavy, and straight) down to a science!
4. Products: Buying products can either be overwhelming or a disappointment, so we have created an online shop to sell products to you on our Facebook page and at our workshops!
5. Love: Be nice to your hair, with the amount of manipulation, heat, pulling and tugging, we do a lot of damage to our tresses. So be more gentle when you comb or brush, try not to put the flat iron on the highest temperature, ask your stylist for alternative methods for straightening your hair or to not use a blow dryer.
Part 2: stay tuned for next week as we will share videos, websites, and blogs to get you on your healthy hair journey!